Thursday, December 16, 2010

Were in Korea

Well today is our first official day here in Korea. Tyson and I arrived at the school around 12am Korean time and after a quick stop at our apartment to drop off a few suitcases, we headed straight to the school. Jeff showed us where we would be staying and tried to make us as comfortable as possible before retreating to his room to sleep. The only thing I really wanted was to take a much needed shower. It's amazing how disgusting I felt after being stuck on an airplane for almost 23 hours! After showers we both climbed into our separate twin beds to try and finally get some real sleep. Even though Jeff had tried to worn me that the beds were really hard, he did not say that it would be more like sleeping on plywood with a sheet on it. Eventually exhaustion won the better of us and we both were asleep before too long. Unfortunately 6am was here before we knew it and Jeff was in to wake us. He wanted us to get up and start the day calming that jet lag would not be as bad if we just jumped into our new daylight hours. After Tyson and I got up and dressed, it was time for us to finally go and meet the other teachers and students at the school. It was not until that moment that I finally became nervous about where I was. I am normally a very shy person and having to be the "new kid" in school was never my idea of a fun. Knowing that I had to put on a brave face for Tyson, I smiled and walked down to the lobby waiting for Jeff to show us the way around. I don't think we made it two steps out of the dorm before I shook my first hand. Though I can not begin to remember the name behind the handshake, I do remember them being warm and very welcoming. Out next stop was the school's cafeteria where I was bombarded with new faces and greetings. Jeffrey introduced them like I should already know their names and positions at the school, but again I could not pick them out of a line up if I tried. They were all seemed very sympathetic to our obviously tired appearance, sharing their own stories as to how long jet lag would actually last. This both comforted me knowing that it would end, but also frightened me when they seemed to mutually agreed that it would probably take about two weeks to really adjust to our new Kroean time.

After breakfast, Jeff gave me a quick tour of the school before having to head off to class. He was suppose to have these first two days off, but due to teachers still trying to obtain their work Visa, he had to go in. Tyson and I easy found our way back to our rooms where we unpacked and tried not to fall asleep. Skyping our family back home seemed the perfect way off keeping occupied, although the connection was not that great, It was still strange talking to them as they were getting ready for bed, knowing that our day had just begun. We talked about the flight over, what we had seen so far and who we had met. It was nice to see them on the computer and did not bring the sadness I expected. I am happy to be here and I know that we still have so much to see and do. I think this first few days however are going to be spent hanging around the school and just trying to get ourselves adjusted. Tyson does not start school for another few days, giving him some time to get to know everyone before being away from us all day. Even though this is all so new and still a bit scary, I would not change being here for anything. I am so grateful for this opportunity and I feel very blessed that everything actually worked out so that we could join Jeffrey here. I have a feeling this is going to be one of the most exciting years of all of our lives and I hope you continue reading and sharing in on our amazing journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment