Friday, December 31, 2010

Daegu Orphanage 16,12. 2010

Today was by far the most emotion filled day I have experienced since arriving in Korea. Tonight some of the teachers, along with about fifteen students, went to one of the local orphanages to donate some much needed items. We all knew before we arrived that we may not be able to visit with the children or see where they live. Some places asked that you just dropped off the donated items at the door. However not only were we allowed to all go in to drop off the gifts, but we were also given a tour around the facility. Now I am not sure what comes to your minds when you think of an orphanage, especially one in a foreign country, but I can tell you, this one was not what I had imagined. Even though the building was fairly large, it seemed crowded with small smiling faces. I knew that there would be children, obviously, but we were told it would be around the 5 to 14 year old age range. I had not prepared myself to not only see infants, but to have one placed in my arms. I can’t explain how hard it was to have to hand that baby girl back over to her care giver knowing that my arms could have held onto her for a lifetime. The very first room we went into was more like a long hall of rooms on both sides. Once side had kitchens, bathrooms and showers, the other had smaller rooms with anywhere from 6 to 16 children. The first room was around the ages of 2 to 4 and they greeted us with a flood of laughter, smiles and high fives. They were not scared of us in the least, actually running up to us and holding tight to our hands. At one point I actually had three sets of tiny hands holding tightly to mine. One little girl with light brown hair, big dark eyes and pink braces on her legs seemed to be curious and yet very shy. As she peeked out behind the wall, I crouched down and smiled at her. Before I knew it, a game of peek a boo ensued and she finally warmed up to us. As we walked down the hall they knew they were not allowed to continue to the next room and reluctantly let go. It was so hard to have to leave them to continue down the hall. One of the rules we were given before going in was that we were not to pick up the children or hug them because they can become attached to someone so quickly. It took every ounce of strength I had not to reach down and hold each one of them. As we walked through the halls into what looked to be around 6 to 9 age range, the kids had more fun with us. They no longer tried to hold our hands or beg to be held but instead tried to push each other in fun to see who was brave enough to touch the Americans. They climbed and hid on their play area, jumped in their colorful ball pit that stood out against the almost solid white walls.

As we played with the kids and listened to them practice what little English they knew, our tour guide explained to us that volunteers come in a few times a month to help teach the kids English. He also asked if any of us had some free time, they would greatly appreciate if we could come to help the kids as well.

Upstairs the hall was set up the same, with the only difference being that the first rooms also contained cribs. I had not expected to see infants and as we walked by the first time, the kept the door to the room closed. Behind the wall there must have been at least 10 children ranging from 5 months to about 2 years. One little girl sat in the center of the room alone playing with some small cars. It was clear that she, along with another boy about her age had Down syndrome. More than a few of the kids there had special needs, handicaps or were there because they were victims of domestic abuse. It was not until the end of the tour that I learned that the little girl with braces on her legs that I had played peek a boo with downstairs had been left in the cold after birth.

At the end of that hall a few older children sat around a table working on math problems. We were told that the kids in that area needed some extra help in school because they were quite behind in their learning abilities. I was amazed to see that the kids who were behind were actually working on multiplication into the 1000s. It’s amazing how even the children here that are “behind” are so far ahead of children that age in the US.

After we finally went back downstairs so the second group could go to see the children, I had to walk outside because the tears came faster than I could wipe them away. It was not because the children looked unhappy or neglected, but because there were so many children that just needed someone to give them a perminant home. We had already asked about adoption but they do not allow international adoptions from most places in Korea.

As the second group got ready to go, Tyson asked me if he could go and see the kids again. I was nervous about going around for a second time, but everyone in the group seemed ok with us going again. The same children came running over and held tightly again to my hands. It was just as hard the second time around to make them let go when we walked away. Upstairs the room that held the smallest of children was still closed off, but the kids were playing with us through the doors. As I got ready to head back downstairs, one of the care takers in the room opened the doors and invited us in to see the kids. I didn’t take more than a few steps inside the room when she placed a baby girl into my arms. She looked up at me with these amazing brown eyes before snuggling her head into my neck. The women who gave her to me said that she was 5 months old and her name was Joungau, at least that is how it sounded.

We had been told before going in that we would not be allowed to take photos, but there was one moment I wish I was able to capture. One of the 9th grade students, Matthew, sat quietly on the floor playing with the little girl and her cars. It was a very touching moment and one that I had not expected from a high school boy. As he played and I stood holding the baby, the other people that remained upstairs played with the children. The sound of their laughter made it impossible to feel bad for them. They were so happy and it was easy to see how much the women in the room loved them.

When it was finally time to go, we said our goodbyes and talked about the idea of volunteering there on a regular bases. At least one other person seemed to be very interested in the idea, so we will see if anything really happens. I would love to go over, but at the same time I think it would be so hard to not get attached to the children. I keep telling myself that helping them any way I can is so much more important than how hard it will be on my feelings. As of right now no plans have been made to go back, but I hope that changes after the Christmas break. If I will not be allowed to open my home to one of them, than at least I can go to theirs and help them.


Everyone from DIS

The tall man in the back was the one who gave us the tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment