Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Baby teeth.

I was shocked a last month when I found that Tyson had two loose teeth. Because I have never heard of a 4 year old loosing baby teeth, I made a dentist appointment for him for the very next day. I though that he must have hit his mouth playing and never told me. The next day his dentist decided it would be a good idea to take a full round of x-rays to determine if his roots were dissolved or if his teeth were loose due to an injury. When the x-rays came back I was completely taken back when we saw that not only were his two bottom teeth loose because the roots were almost gone, but so were 4 other teeth. All four on the bottom along with his two top teeth are all ready to come out. When I asked his dentist if this was going to be a problem because of his young age I was reassured that it was completely normal. Because Tyson had cut his teeth so early on (three teeth at 3 months old) they would fall out early as well. I told the dentist that I was not ready for my baby to start loosing his teeth and she laughed and informed me that it would not cause him to graduate High School and leave home any sooner. True as this was, it's still I'm still sad to see him growing up so fast.
Tyson lost his first tooth (bottom left) on May 17th. We were sitting on the chair watching The Backyardardigans when I noticed his tooth was ready to come out. I told him that it was bleeding a tiny bit and that I was going to hold a piece of paper towel on it. While he was watching his cartoon, I slowly pulled his tooth forward until It finally popped right out. Tyson had no idea that I had even pulled his tooth until I finally held it up to show him. He was so excited and immediately wanted to call his Daddy. He was at school working when I pulled his tooth. For some reason the wiggling and loosing of teeth really makes Daddy squeamish so I guess that's another job left up to me, not that I mind at all. As soon as we got off the phone with Daddy, Tyson started begging me to walk down to his Nannie and Papa's house to show them. So at 8:00 I snuggled him up in this stroller and off we went. He was so cute trying to smile to get them to notice that his tooth was gone. They were both very excited for him, along with a little sad that he was already loosing his baby teeth. That night when we got home he was very excited about putting his little "treasure" under his pillow for the tooth fairy to come. He had so many ideas as to what she would bring him. At 5:45am, Tyson came running into our room to show me what the tooth fairy had left for him. Daddy was already at work so he got a nice phone call before classes started. The tooth fairy left Tyson 4 dollars and two cars. I told him that because this was his first tooth, the gift that she left would be a bit bigger then it will be for any future teeth lost. He was still very excited and said that he could not wait to loose more teeth. Little did I know how short of a wait that would be.

On June 7th, again while watching cartoons, Tyson lost his second baby tooth (bottom right). This time I used a washcloth to get a better hold on his tiny tooth. Even though this one came out a little bit harder then the first, he still had no idea that I had pulled it. When I held this one up he was a little more surprised to see his tooth in my hand. Although this one bleed a bit more, he didn't seem to mind at all. That night he slept in my bed and we forgot to leave his tooth under his pillow. He was so funny when he woke up and looked for his surprise. He told me that the tooth fairy must not have been able to find him since he was in my room. So last night we put him to bed in his own room and checked multiple times that his tooth was safely tucked under his pillow. This time Daddy helped me to make the exchange while he slept. It was a good thing he was there because he started to wake up. Finally I went to bed, expecting another early morning with him coming in to show me what the fairy had left him. We never even made it until morning, Tyson decided to wake up a 3am to see if she had already snuck into his room. Sure enough she had and this time she left him 2$ and a little light up glow stick ball. Thankfully I always have little treats hidden away in a closet for such occasions.

So now the wait is on for the other 4 loose teeth to decide when it is there time to come out. Poor kid is not going to have any teeth at all to eat with. Looks like not corn on the cob for him this summer.


With all his Baby Teeth.


Right After he lost his first tooth.


Happy his tooth is safe under his pillow.


Right after he lost his 2nd tooth.

2 comments:

  1. He must have been really focused on watching the Backyardigans that he never really minded that you've already pulled his tooth out. Haha! Anyway, how's Tyson doing in the dental department? I hope that everything's going well for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyson just lost his 5 tooth and so far he has not cried once. He even helped to pull the last two out. He's a brave little guy.

    ReplyDelete