Saturday, January 1, 2011

HAPPY NEW YEAR

This year we kept the holiday very low key. We called my parents, even though it felt a bit strange calling them at 10:00am, to be with us while we rung in the New Year. We tried to find something on TV to watch how Korea celebrates the holiday, but we were unable to find anything. I did find on the internet that in Soul, they ring a large bell 33 times to welcome the New Year. It is also very popular to sit along the beach, drink in hand of course, and watch the sun rise for the first time. We also though it would be fun to look up the Chinese Zodiac sign and found that this year is the year of the RABBIT. It is said that people born in the Year of the Rabbit are articulate, talented, and ambitious. They are virtuous, reserved, and have excellent taste. Rabbit people are admired, trusted, and are often financially lucky. They are fond of gossip but are tactful and generally kind. Rabbit people seldom lose their temper. They are clever at business and being conscientious, never back out of a contract. They would make good gamblers for they have the uncanny gift of choosing the right thing. However, they seldom gamble, as they are conservative and wise. They are most compatible with those born in the years of the Sheep, Pig, and Dog. Even thous this isn't my year, since I am a Monkey, I still believe this year is going to bring many wonderful things! I am very excited to be here for Lunar New Year in Februrary and experience their traditions with them.


To help my family welcome their New Year, we called at 1:45pm and waited to share their countdown. My parents were in Florida this year and decided to go to Pleasure Island for the festivities. I could hear over the phone that it was crowded and noisy, but that's half of the fun of the holiday. It was so nice to be able to be on the phone with them, didn't make the distance seem as vast. My wish for my entire family for the upcoming year is Health, Happiness and to ring in 2012 with no one missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment