Monday, January 4, 2010

Unexptected trip to Tyson's peditrician

I had planed on spending the day cleaning the house, doing some laundry and making a few phone calls, but instead we ended up having to drive an hour down to see Tyson's pediatrician. I called the doctor's office about possibly increasing Tyson's medication that he takes for his for his almost constant headaches, but instead of just doing it over the phone, the doctor asked if we could come down to see him. I rushed to get Tyson and I ready and down to the High School in time to pick up Jeff, quwho teaches French, from school so he could get to his tutoring job. After we dropped him off, Tyson and I drove as quickly, but safely, as we could to make the hour's drive in time to get to the doctors. Once there we did the normal weight check, 38.4lbs and blood pressure, that I can not remember, and after our update with the nurse, his doctor came right in. I told him that Tyson has had a lot more breakthrough headaches in the past few weeks and that I have been having to give him ibuprofen more often.and His doctor said he was not too surprised that the medication had to be increased again that he knew he would still be experiencing headaches. It was not until Tyson came right out and told him that his head hurts when he uses the potty that his doctor seemed more concerned. He then asked if I had noticed any other abnormal behavior from him, balance, walking, the same sort of stuff we go over every time. I told him that he had a little bit of a cold last week and he started complaining of his head hurting every time he coughed. Other then that the only other odd thing he has been doing is that every once in a while when he is playing or picking up his toys he tells me that he can not bend over and he does this old man crouching sort of thing. I just dismissed it as sleeping wrong, but Dr. Mike (fake name) said that it might be linked to his headaches. He suggested that even though we are going to see a neurologist at the end of February, he wanted to go ahead and order an MRI now. Tyson has already had CT scan, but the MRI is a little more defined. Unlike the CT that only took about 5 minuets, the MRI can take some time, so this means that Tyson will have to be sedated. On the way home, Tyson asked what the doctor meant by having another test. He asked if he was having the CT again and I told him it would be like the CT only he would have to be asleep for this test. He told me that he would be too awake to sleep and I had to laugh. I told him that the doctors were going to have to give him a needle in his arm with a little tube, just like the one he saw me get when I had my knee surgeries, and that they would give him some memedicine to make him sleep. As soon as I said that, he stared protesting, very loudly I might add, from the back seat. After I got him to stop crying he finally told he was scared of the needle and being asleep. I was not sure what to tell him so I simply said it was ok to be scared and that when we got home we would look on the computer for pictures of other kids having an MRI so he would know what to expect. Tyson is the type of kid that has to know EVERYTHING about what we are going to do or what is going to happen. Luckily when we got home I found some great videos on YouTube about IVs and MRI's. He seemed so much better after watching them all. I let him choose all the ones he wanted, even the ones I knew the kids were crying. He told me after about 20 minuets that even though he really didn't like the noise it made, or the idea of them putting a tube in his arm, that he would be "Super brave like Iron Man brave." Even though I am sure the day will be filled with tears and a few protests, I do believe that he will do his best to be Iron Man brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment