Saturday, February 26, 2011

AndongFeb.26.11

Yesterday we had a great time on a field trip with the staff and family of DIS. We went to one of the oldest villages and temples in Korea. Our first stop on our field trip was to the cliff that stood on the other side of the rive from the main historical village. It was a great way to see everything at once. I got a great photo of a 600 year old tree. We tried to find it while walking around but missed it.
Our next stop was around the little village near the cliffs. There were a few homes there and some good photo ops. Tyson was begging to go down to the beach, but we were on a time limit. Maybe if we go there again we can spend more time in the sand.
Next we went to the village that we saw from the cliffs. Andong village is over 600 years old and is still thriving. It was a bit strange looking at houses that have stood the test of time, with a BMW parked in the driveway. Tyson got tired of walking around so I stuck him in my backpack straps and carried him around for a bit. One of my favorite photos from the day was Tyson and I inside this amazing tree we found on our walk. I wish I knew how old it was, but there were no signs near it. After we left the tree, we came to a place with huge swings and other fun things to do. I didn't participate in the balance-beam thing, but it was lots of fun watching everyone else. They had sticks with rubber arrows on the ends and you had to throw them into these vase looking things. I was so proud of myself that I got it in TWICE, in a row!!! After some more walking around and a quick stop at the little museum to show Queen Elizabeth's visit, we all piled back into the bus to enjoy a great lunch!! It was our Tyson and I's first time at a Korean BBQ and it was so good! Tyson enjoyed seeing the food cook on our table. I am proud to say that I ate my first entire meal with CHOPSTICKS!! I can't say that I am a pro by any means, but it was still fun.
After our lunch we went to our last stop of the day. We walked up quite a steep road to visit the oldest temple in Korea. The temple was build 1,400 years ago and is still in great condition. The paint has long since faded, but that only adds to the charm. I wish we could have stayed longer to get more photos, but if we were going to get back to DIS in time for supper we had to leave. I really hope if my family comes to visit next year, we can take them back here. Overall we all had a great time and I know I am looking forward to our next field trip with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment