Sunday, April 3, 2011

Dalseong Park

Yesterday we decided to go look for Dalseong Park after another teacher had told us about the free zoo there. I have to admit that I was not expecting anything big. A small park with a few farm animals maybe, but it was still something to do on a nice Saturday. Since we did not know exactly where the park was, we decided to get a cab. Even though the ride seemed like it took a long time, it only cost about 10,000 to get there. Once we realized how close to downtown it was, we felt a little silly. I can't believe we had been this close to it and never known it was there.

Being me, our walk around the park couldn't possibly start without a little touch of drama. Some Korean women started yelling at me as soon as I got out of the cab. Thankfully Jeff came to my rescue and told her we didn't speak Korean and we walked away. Who knows, maybe she knew bus guy. (A story for another post) Anyway, once we walked in I was amazed at how beautiful the park was. It reminded me so much of Central Park in New York, in that it is a little piece of heaven in the mist of a bustling city.

As we were waking around the zoo, it didn't take long to realize it was a lot larger then I expected. The variety of animals far exceeded my expectations.The best part was when I walked around a corner after looking at some bunnies and birds to see two elephants walking around. Tyson was walking around with his Dad and I hurried to find him, covered his eyes and walked him to the exhibit. He was laughing nervously not sure where I was taking him, but as soon as I took my hands off his eyes, he started yelling "ELEPHANTS". He was so excited and for finding them, I was given lots of hugs. We stayed there watching the elephants for a long time, until the male elephant got a bit, well too involved in spring time lovin. After having to explain that the elephant didn't have 2 trunks, I figured it was time to leave before he got the live version of the birds and the bees.

After walking around for another hour looking at the different animals, statues, monuments and just enjoying the view, it was time to go. There was a small museum area, but as soon as we walked in the door, a very spirited Korean man started following us around. Tyson was getting upset at his actions, as was I, so we walked out the door down to try to find a cab. The man tried to get into the cab with us, but after spotting another American family, left us to venture off in following someone else.

I am really happy that we were told about this place because it turned out to be a perfect Saturday spent together as a family. So thank you to Mrs. Smith for telling us about the park
and to those reading this, I hope you enjoy the photos.

Click to view photos

No comments:

Post a Comment