Monday, November 22, 2010

My bags are packed and I'm ready to go.......

Well as the title says it, my bags are packed and everything is ready for Tyson and I to fly out tomorrow morning. As I sit here I still cannot believe that this is my last night here in the US. Right now I am all alone in my house, other than my cat, Thomas, waiting for the alarm on the dryer to let me know that it is time to lock up and say goodbye. I have walked through every room of this house at least ten times tonight. Double and triple checking that Tyson and I have everything that we need for the next several months. To also make sure windows are locked, lights are unplugged and everything is just where it should be. As I walk from room to room I am doing all I can to ignore that screaming voice in my head that is trying to tell me that I am forgetting something important. I have gone over the dozen lists that I have been working on for months now; making sure each and every item is crossed off or written on a new list to give to my parents. It's strange, just a few hours ago Tyson and my parents were here with me, running around like crazy trying to get every last minuet thing accomplished and yet now I am here all alone. Already the house seems deafeningly quiet. Only a few creaks and pops from my cooling house can be heard over the tumbling of the dryer. It's almost as if the house is trying to protest our goodbye, making more noise than usual. Or maybe it's because I am actually listening to it more then I normally would.

Tomorrow Tyson and I will board our first flight at 8:24am heading to Detroit. I will not let myself imagine how many tears will be shed at the airport tomorrow. If I do I will start crying now and I know I will not be able to stop the tears once they start. We will be in the air for two and a half hours before finally landing. Hopefully in that time I can allow my sadness of saying goodbye be exchanged for the excitement of what lies ahead.

After about an hour's layover in Detroit, we will be on our next flight for fourteen hours to Tokyo. This is the flight that has me most concerned. That is such a long time for Tyson to have to stay seated and quiet. I just hope whom ever paid for the seat next to us is patient and likes kids. After we finally land in Tokyo we will have almost 2 hours to relax before we board our last flight to Busan South Korea. This flight will only take about 2 hours so I am anticipating it to go by quickly. Once we have finally landed in our destination country, we will collect our entire luggage and then head out to finally be reunited with Jeff. I know the excitement of finally seeing Daddy again is what is keeping Tyson strong through all of this. I am so grateful my fears have not become his, he is going into this with such innocence, makes me a bit jealous. After our reunion with Jeff, he will help us load into the limo for the 2 hour ride to Daegu, our new home for the next several months. Even though I am so grateful for this opportunity and I am excitedly anticipating our departure, I cannot help but be overcome with tears knowing that I only have a few hours before I have to say my final goodbyes. Leaving my parents is going to be the hardest thing that I have to overcome. I have lived away from them before, but I was always a day’s drive away. This time there will be no going home to visit. The family will not be together for Thanksgiving or Christmas this year. Tyson's 5th Birthday will be spent here, away from those who waited so long for his arrival. Even though missing these things will bring sadness to more people than just me, I keep reminding myself that it is just temporary. Missing one year or a few depending on how long we stay is still so temporary in the long run. There will be so many more holidays and Birthdays spent with them, this opportunity will last only once.

So, as I sit here in the quiet I can only thank everyone who has helped me in the decision to go. It seems like so long ago now I posted a note on Facebook asking people's opinions on the opportunity given to Jeff and I. To all of those who wrote back, than you for encouraging me and reassuring me that this was the best choice. That this truly is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I would be crazy to turn it down. I owe this journey to everyone and I promise to include you all as much as possible during our time there.

The buzz that is ringing up form down stairs tells me that it is time to go. Time to lock the doors once more, time to say goodbye to Thomas (no I am not leaving him here alone, my parents will come get him tomorrow), time to say goodbye to the house we worked so hard for and on, but goodbyes are only temporary. So until my next post, please pray for us that we have a safe journey to the other side of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment